One of the most powerful things we can do is to build other people up. It’s amazing how much power we have over people with the words we use or refuse to use. This power is never more evident than in marriage.
So today I want to send out praise to Paula, my wife of 37-plus years, my friend, and my partner.
- I want to praise Paula for the strong, smart woman that she is; that she refuses to put up with any of my crap, or allow me to get away with anything.
- I want to praise her for the fact that she truly loves people, and how careful she is, particularly in dealing with potential conflict.
- I want to praise Paula because of her generosity that flows out of her naturally, never forced or coerced.
- I want to praise Paula for helping me understand, as a teenager, that a relationship with Jesus Christ is the most important thing that I could ever establish for myself.
- I want to praise Paula for believing in so many of the hair-brained ideas that I’ve had, sharing the vision, and working equally as hard to make them come true.
- I want to praise Paula for the three amazing girls that she has had and raised to adulthood, all of whom inspire me in the way they live their lives.
- I want to praise Paula because our love is stronger now than it ever has been.
- I want to praise Paula for not giving up on me when so many others would and did.
- Paula, you are an inspiration of joy, and our marriage is the greatest achievement of my life.
I’ll stop there because you’re probably tired of reading. But trust me, I could go on and on and on. The real point of this blog is not how much praise I have and am willing to extend to my wife Paula, but to inspire you to do the same for your wife or husband.
When is the last time you praised your spouse out loud? When is the last time you wrote about it, put it out for the world to see? Do they just assume that you love them, that you appreciate them, and that you need them? Or do you find the words to tell them?
It’s in the power of praise that relationships grow stronger. It’s in the power of praise that disappointment and discouragement doesn’t overwhelm you. It’s in the power of praise that we believe life is worth living. It’s in the power of praise that new beginnings and greater possibilities become realities.
Praise costs you nothing and can be worth more than you’ll ever know.